1971: MIT Professor Eric R Cosman, Sr, PhD and his father, Bernard J Cosman, MS (MIT) in the Radionics booth at the American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS) congress.
2007: Eric R Cosman, Jr, PhD (MIT) and his father, Professor Eric R Cosman, Sr, PhD in the Cosman Medical exhibition booth at the International Spine Intervention Society (ISIS) congress.
1990's RFG-3C plus
Cosman Medical represents 60 years of pioneering and leadership in RF generator and electrode technology, and now offers the most modern, reliable, and functional equipment ever built. Bernard J. Cosman, who founded Radionics, Inc. (formerly called Cosman and Company) in 1938 after graduating from MIT, built the first commercial RF lesion generator in 1952. His son, Professor Eric R. Cosman of the MIT Physics Department, directed Radionics from 1970 to 2000, and created dozens of RF generator models, including the RFG-3C Plus, 3CF, 3C, 3B, 3D, 5, 5S, 6, 6S, etc. which are used by thousands of clinicians around the world. In the same period, the Cosmans invented hundreds of RF electrode systems for specific applications in the treatment of neurological diseases, pain, and cancer which revolutionized the minimally-invasive approach to these problems. Radionics, the family business, was sold in 2000.
Cosman Medical (2004-present)
Cosman Medical was founded by Professor Cosman to continue innovation in the RF technology which he and his father pioneered. He and his son, Eric Cosman, Jr., PhD., along with their team of expert technical personnel, have created the G4, RFG-1A, and RFG-1B RF generators and an extensive range of electrodes for the fields of Neurosurgery and Pain Therapy. They incorporate all of their cumulative experience and creativity as well as the very latest advances in electronic design.
The results, once again, are products that are superior in their functionality, safety, and reliability. The use of advanced production technology has meant more efficient and economical manufacturing, without outsourcing or compromising quality. Cosman Medical is passing on those savings to its customers by offering the lowest prices on RF electrodes and disposable needles in the marketplace today.
Cosman’s Historic Firsts in Radiofrequency Medicine
Landmark inventions by Bernard J Cosman, MS (MIT) and MIT Professor Eric R Cosman, Sr, PhD
- Founded and owned Radionics, the world leader in RF medicine until its sale.
- First commercial radiofrequency generator (1952)
- First temperature-monitoring RF electrode
- First impedance monitor
- First facet denervation electrode with Dr. Norman Shealy
- First trigeminal neuralgia electrode with Dr. William Sweet
- First cordotomy electrode with Dr. Hubert Rosomoff
- First medial branch thermocouple (TC) electrode with Dr. Menno Sluijter
- First curved trigeminal electrode with Dr. John Tew
- First TC cordotomy electrode with Dr. Alan Levin
- First DREZ electrode with Dr. Blaine Nashold
- First intradiscal RF heating with Dr. Menno Sluijter
- First cardiac RF ablation generator
- First CT cordotomy electrode with Dr. Yucel Kanpolat
- Invented pulsed RF (PRF) with Dr. Menno Sluijter, Mr. William Rittman, and Dr. Maarten van Kleef
- First pulsed RF generator, the Radionics RFG-3C+
- First curved RF cannula with Dr. Gabor Racz and Dr. Phillip Finch
- First RF generator for tumor ablation
- First cooled RF electrode with Dr. Nahum Goldberg
The Next Generation of RF Innovation
The latest advances from Professor Eric R Cosman, Sr, PhD and Eric R Cosman, Jr, PhD (MIT)
- Founded Cosman Medical, Inc.
- G4 four-electrode, touch-screen RF generator
- RFG-1A & 1B generators with simplified controls
- Fundamental discoveries in Radiofrequency and pulsed Radiofrquency biophysics
- First RF palisade for sacroiliac joint (SIJ) pain with Dr. Christian Gonzalez